Friday, January 28, 2011

The Written Word

        How often have you come across a book, magazine or newspaper article that inspired you to think more deeply? Spark your interest in something previously unexplored? Cause you to reevaluate your view on a subject?
        The written word can be a very powerful thing. In a world before the internet it was the written word that preserved human knowledge for future generations. The written word has inspired revolution and peace. The written word promotes love and hate.
        I have had a few occasions that I can share about titles that inspired me to think more than I previously had about things. To think about society and civilization, my everyday life and my aspirations... even political and religious viewpoints.
        FIVE SKIES by Ron Carlson sparked a serious introspective reevaluation of my life goals and everyday outlook on my blue collar existence. Sometimes fictional characters can be so life-like, so real, that their stories can hit the reader hard. Arthur Key was like the merging of my father and I into a single person, quietly searching for redemption in a world that never cared about the sins we had committed in the first place. Ronnie, for me, was symbolic of the loss of that youthful exuberance that drives a man forward against the machine.

        The Book of Five Rings by Miyamoto Musashi was a work that I jumped into because of my fascination with feudal Japanese samurai culture. It wasn't long before I made an incredible connection. This title smacked me in the face, making me look at society around me with new vision. I attribute the foundation of my individuality solely to this book. If I had not read the Book of Five Rings I probably would have never finished high school and possibly not be alive today because my new vision resulted in a new approach to the world around me. I firmly  believe that all inner-city 9th grade students should be required to read the Book of Five Rings.

        The Art of Happiness by His Holiness the Dalai Lama was instrumental for me when I found myself struggling to adapt to a new environment after I moved out of the city. Usually works of Buddhist philosophy are very esoteric and ambiguous but not this one. I found it practical and engaging. I still keep a copy to this day and return to it every now and then when I find myself too stressed.

        I have to throw out a few honorable mentions to close. Tales of the Otori by Lian Hearn is, by far, my favourite work of fantasy fiction. The Night Angel Trilogy by Brent Weeks is also a good fantasy fiction work. A very nice collection of speeches, interviews and quotes can be found in In His Own Words, Neslon Mandela. 1491: New Revelations of the Americas Before Columbus shatters the misconception that all Native Americans were nomadic tribal people. I'm a total Trekkie when it comes to books and I'm currently loving Star Trek Titan.

2 comments: